Wednesday, March 27, 2019

What should we do? Part III


As we await the return of Jesus, in His second coming to earth, we have seen that we should stir up our minds with the Scriptures, and be prepared to avoid scoffers' influence (and respond to them correctly).
We also see that our attitude should be one of remembering God is in control.
God's day of judgment is definite.
Remember verse 7 of our passage:
By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly. (II Peter 3:7)
In some translations, the verse reads a little differently:
But the heavens and the earth which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of the ungodly men. (Douay-Rheims)
That word "perdition" carries a little more "oomph" than "destruction." Perdition means spiritual eternal ruin. Utter and complete destruction. God already judged the earth of that time with the Flood during Noah's day, and He is going to judge the earth again, but with fire. James Merritt, pastor and teacher in urban Georgia, said, "This world that was created by God in the beginning, will be cremated by God in the end. This world didn't come in with a big bang, but it is going out with one!"

Not only are God's plans definite, but they are on His schedule.
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. (II Peter 3:8)
This is pretty important. (Grin)
God created time.
God is bigger than time.
And God is in control of time.
It's not a new concept, but perhaps it is one that we forget, in our hurry-up-and-happen-at-a-frantic-pace-and-get-it-when-I-want-it world.... Moses told everyone the same thing long ago:
A thousand years in your sight    are like a day that has just gone by,    or like a watch in the night. (Psalm 90:4, NIV)
Now, we could really get caught up in heated discussions about what is meant by one day....thousand years.... we could vehemently argue whether or not these are literal comparisons. We would go down rabbit trails of the Biblical week of creation, and whether or not six days (six thousand years) will pass until the Lord returns. Then, our thoughts would turn to the thousand-year reign (one day) of Jesus Christ here on earth, before the final victory over all sin, that is prophesied in the book of Revelation.
Many people spend copious amounts of their life studying and supporting one argument or the other. You can find articles on the apparent age of the earth, and whether or not the creation was completed with God making things appear much older than they were. They call that the "appearance of age" theory.
You know what I think?
I think that if we get embroiled in these discussions to the point that they sidetrack us from our most important task -- spreading the word of Christ's salvation -- then that's a waste of time.
Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. (II Timothy 2:23-24)
Call me simple-minded, if you will, but I accept the world as it is, as He created it. It makes no difference to me what the real answers to these scholarly questions are. I believe that it's my job to live a life of testimony to the Christ Who saves me and fills me with His Spirit each day.
As for me, I will always have hope;    I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds,    of your saving acts all day long—    though I know not how to relate them all. I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord;    I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone. Since my youth, God, you have taught me,    and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray,    do not forsake me, my God,till I declare your power to the next generation,    your mighty acts to all who are to come. (Psalm 71:14-15,18)
To me, the important thing to remember is that no matter which theory is correct, God is bigger than time. And He has promised us that He will return.
We can count on His control in all of life's ups and downs, whether He returns tomorrow, or a thousand years from now!

2 comments:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.