Thursday, November 3, 2011

Proverbs 14: 14

The backslider in heart will have his fill of his own ways, but a good man will be satisfied with his.

To prepare for today's lesson, I looked up some things about backsliders. Do you know what a backslider is? There are several definitions out there...but here is my favorite," One who is no longer making progress." Why? Well, fellow Pilgrims, we are to be always climbing that hill. Always pressing forth to get to the top. Picture in your mind a moment a playground with a group of preschoolers. For some reason, they always think it is more fun to climb UP the slide rather than slide down it. But what happens if they are halfway up and stop, or let go?



Ah, yes, they backslide. If we are not always working to climb, then we are doing the opposite. We are backsliding.

Why do we backslide? (We have all done it at one time or another.) I found three reasons when I studied:

* 1--Being ignorant of the Word (not spending time in it)
* 2--Failure to have the ability to endure persecution (from lack of being grounded in the Word)
* 3--The world has more influence than the Word.

Without the Word to provide a foothold, you will slide backwards. Matthew Henry's commentary, "Of all sinners, backsliders will have the most terror when they reflect on their own ways."

In close, look up Luke 12:48 and reflect on this verse today.

What are some things that are expected of you that you can improve on?
Do you have a strong foothold so that you can keep climbing?

3 comments:

  1. My first thought on this post is that I am a backslider. If I fail to continue to seek a heart for God, if I fail to work daily at doing His will, that qualifies me as a backslider. Doesn't it? I can't think of a single thing I don't need to improve.
    Thankfully, God is ready to forgive, to lift me up, to give me His peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't climb upward and slide backward at the same time. I think if you are reading and studying and trying...then you are climbing. A little step is better than a backward step. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world has more influence than the Word. Knowing this causes that extra umpff in my step up not down. Knowing how much it hurt to backslide I am beyond careful now!!

    ~Evielynne

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.