Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Proverbs 30:29-31 Fearless

29 “There are three things that are stately in their stride,
    four that move with stately bearing:
30 a lion, mighty among beasts,
    who retreats before nothing;
31 a strutting rooster, a he-goat,
    and a king secure against revolt.

Most of Agur's proverbs are lists of things. We've studied several lists so far, and I believe there are some good things for us to study in this passage, too.

Agur's list here is of four things that are "comely" or beautiful in their appearance, movements, and conduct. They are each different in the trait they are mentioned for . . .

Let's look first at the lion.
In the translation above, the lion is characterized as mighty and fearless. He has a bold and majestic walk, he fears no creature, and because he is fearless he does not turn aside from any other creature. Since he is the "king of beasts" he is an excellent illustration of boldness, fearlessness and confidence.
 
Are we bold and fearless like the lion in doing our Christian duties, regardless of opposition or threats?
The wicked flee though no one pursues,
    but the righteous are as bold as a lion.
Proverbs 28:1
So we say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?”
Hebrews 13:6
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.  II Timothy 1:7
Let's take as our example the Lion of Judah, our Savior!

2 comments:

  1. I guess the short answer to that is "no"! The scripture tells us to be as wise as serpants and as harmless as doves. For me, I think it's the other way round!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, this one is very difficult for me. I used to sing in church. Duets and quartets and the like. There came a time that I became so fearful of it, so nervous that I couldn't breathe while singing and had to stop. Once an evangelist visiting our church gave me the scripture about God not giving us a spirit of fear, but it didn't help. I'm still unable to do it, even though I wish I could. I don't really know if it's ok with God or not, but it's something I really can't do in my human condition. And I'm not brave enough to step out on faith to try it again. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.