Monday, August 21, 2017

Guided thoughts no. 18


I enjoy being outdoors. I love helping out. So it stands to reason that I should help with the abundance of chores around here. Especially mowing!

Slather on the sunscreen, plop a hat on my head, and give me some ear protection, and I'm off to the races! Well, not really.

Mowing is actually something that you need to focus on. You want to get as close as safely possible around things, so that there isn't much trimming left over. Since you need to come back afterwards and trim, right?

Also, there are things sometimes hidden in the tall grass that can be problems..... actually, I'm usually warned about those. My resident expert knows these pastures like the back of his hand, and can tell me about holes, rocks, and critter dens.

But sometimes I get distracted. I lose focus. I'm sitting on the tractor and I look up at the edge of the pasture, where the tall trees are swaying in the breeze. The wind turns some of their leaves wrong-side out, so they look a silvery green, and I can see the creek is glistening on the other side. I duck to avoid the occasional branch, and then turn the tractor (carefully, so the front end loader doesn't hit a tree or a fence-post) and go back across the pasture. Seconds later......BAM!!!!

The tractor stops.

My heart stops and I start looking at the tractor to see if anything is broken, or if all is well. I know that in the other pasture, my resident expert has probably heard the small explosion and is listening, hands on post-hole diggers, waiting to see if the tractor starts again.

Luckily, this time, the rock shattered into 4,392 pieces and scared several snakes, but didn't harm the tractor.
But the problem was caused by my lack of focus. I wasn't paying close attention to my job, nor to where I was in the pasture.

This happens in the lives of believers, too!

Are we easily distracted in our prayer and study time? How about in our worship? The book of Proverbs tells us that what is in our mind controls our life....here's a quote that talks about it, too:
The more you focus on yourself, the more distracted you will be from the proper path. The more you know Him and commune with Him, the more the Spirit will make you like Him. The more you are like Him, the better you will understand His utter sufficiency for all of life’s difficulties. And that is the only way to know real satisfaction. John MacArthur
When we pray, are we truly focused on God? Are our minds on other things? We need to be thinking about Him, not our finances, not our grocery list, not our family....we need to be desperate to know His presence; we need to treasure the time that we can focus on Him.
“‘These people honor me with their lips,    but their hearts are far from me." (Matthew 15:8)
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
When we focus on Him, He is able to protect us. He can guide us over, around, or through the hidden obstacles that will harm us (like that rock in the grass!).
Remember these verses in Proverbs 4 ....listen, pay attention, accept -- all these are synonyms for staying "focused."
Listen, my son, accept what I say,    and the years of your life will be many. I instruct you in the way of wisdom    and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;    when you run, you will not stumble. (v 10-12)

My son, pay attention to what I say;    turn your ear to my words. (v 20)
Let your eyes look straight ahead;    fix your gaze directly before you. Give careful thought to the[c] paths for your feet    and be steadfast in all your ways. Do not turn to the right or the left;    keep your foot from evil. (v 25-27)
Lord, I want to know You, really know and treasure You. Please help me to stay focused on You!


2 comments:

  1. Yes, this I know, but often don't do! A timely reminder! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. What a great way to start my Tuesday. Seriously spoken. I am aware when my thoughts wander and I always apologize for it and start over...however many times it takes.

    Proverbs 4. I think I will read that today and cement it into my conscious. xx

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.