Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Verses that inspire us

Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:7-10)
Such familiar verses!
I was blessed by these in my studies....

I'm sure that we have all heard the descriptions of this passage. Jesus was referring to the usual practice of shepherds, who used "corrals" made of piled up rocks to guard their sheep in the night. Thorns and briers were laid on top of the rock walls, to discourage wild animals' thoughts of lamb suppers. (Grin) Then the shepherd would lie down in the opening in the rock wall.

Any threat to the sheep would have to pass by him first.
In this way, Jesus is saying that He is protection for His sheep.
But in verse nine, He also says He is the entrance -- the sheep must go through Him. Those who enter through Him will be saved.
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish;no one will snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:27-28)
And those sheep will be able to come in and to go out. What a picture of our lives in Christ! We are free to come and go, and still be in the presence and protection of our Lord!
Moses said to the Lord, 16 “May the Lord, the God who gives breath to all living things, appoint someone over this community 17 to go out and come in before them, one who will lead them out and bring them in, so the Lord’s people will not be like sheep without a shepherd.” (Numbers 27:15-17)
Jesus totally and completely fulfills this passage, as He leads us each day; we can go out and come in to the safety of the corral, all the while being in His care.

I hope these verses bless your heart as they did mine....if a verse has inspired, comforted, or convicted you recently, won't you share it with us, please?

2 comments:

  1. Another inspiration for me. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is absolutely no other "religion" on this earth that offers what the Bible does! As we of course know, it is not a religion but a relationship! :-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.