Thursday, August 24, 2017

Guided thoughts no. 20



Recently, a particularly fierce storm came through our area....our "neck of the woods," as grandma used to say.
The rain came in sheets; it was a real downpour, and with the wind blowing hard, it sometimes came in sideways, drenching porches and patio. A mix of sheet and streak lightning battered the darkened sky, and the rolls of thunder were loud enough to rattle the oil lamps that I had lit in preparation for the storm.
We could hear crashes in the woods near the house, as huge, old-growth trees twisted in the wind and tumbled to the forest floor. We prayed that none would hit our home.

To make a long story short, what the weather peeps call a "micro burst" blew through the woods, not sixty feet from our house. Several trees succumbed, but our house was undamaged, and we praise the Lord for that!

The incredible amounts of rain and the ferocious winds gave way to a brightening sky and a lovely rainbow. My thoughts went to how Noah and his little family must have rejoiced in their safety, too.
And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.” (Genesis 9:12-16)
The rainbow has been a sign since that day, both to humans and to God, that He will never again destroy the world with a flood. Verse sixteen says that God will see the rainbow and remember His promise....so it's not just a sign for us to see. Not that God would forget -- that isn't going to happen. But the rainbow is something that should make us remember that promise, just as it will mean that God is contemplating it, too.

God has made so many promises -- do we take them for granted?
but whoever listens to me will live in safety    and be at ease, without fear of harm. (Proverbs 1:33)
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)
And this one from one of my favorite passages:
So do not fear, for I am with you;    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.I will strengthen you and help you;    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
Perhaps it will help us in our walk if we write down one of His promises each day. There are so many! So many evidences of His great love for us!


3 comments:

  1. So glad you and your family are safe. zFrom a purely secular point of view, where storms and those micro bursts hit seems to be purely random. They hit one spot or person’s property, and miss another. But we know better. Our God is always in control. What a wonderful glorious thing to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those kind of storms are practically unheard of here, but they are sure frightening! I remember as a young girl, I was frightened of so many things, but when I came across Is 41:10 I was comforted and repeated it daily for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have risen in the night to pray when one of those storms came to our area. God is our refuge and our strength. A very present help in trouble.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.