Tuesday, September 19, 2017

What are we listening to?


Just days ago, when the hurricane-turned-tropical-storm was blowing through our area, we were standing on our porch, listening to the wind and rain.

I used to hear my grandma talk about the wind "howling" and it truly was, on this afternoon. As it whipped around the house, it seemed intent on battering it, and it "sang" and "whistled" as it rushed around eaves and rooftop.

We could hear the creaking of trees as they bent before the gusts, and the occasional snap of a limb punctuated the sounds of the storm.

After hours of battering the house, the wind moved on, the rain began to die down, and an eerie quiet descended. It was as if God had moved His hand over the woods and said for the storm to stop.

This situation in the lives of Jesus and His disciples came to mind....
He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!”Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. (Mark 4:39)
As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!”He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. (Luke 8:23-24)

Have you listened lately to the sounds of power in God's creation? Have you then listened in the quiet, for the still, small voice of His Spirit?

He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” (Luke 11:28)
I love the Lord, for he heard my voice;    he heard my cry for mercy.  Because he turned his ear to me,    I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2) 

2 comments:

  1. I’m sitting here enjoying my coffee and listening to mostly quiet. In the quiet I can hear the sound of a chipmunk doing its throaty noise. There is a blue jay calling in the distance. The gentle wind is blowing through the leaves. And our grand daughter is running around upstairs. I can hear the literal pitter patter of small feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and me...total complete enveloping silence for the moment. But I keep an ear turned...the one inside my mine for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.