Monday, December 10, 2018

Advent object lesson - lights!


Ah, the lights of Christmas!
In our tiny town, the old style light posts are encircled with garland and lights, and decked with a festive ribbon. Where one of our kiddos lives, the city skyscrapers are decorated with all manner of colored lights, making the cityscape look like a candyland!

And then, of course, there is the annual get-out-the-light-strings-and-see-which-ones-can-actually-be-untangled. Then after that, there's the activity of plug-em-in-and-see-if-all-the-bulbs-light-up.
Sound familiar? (Grin)
Of course, those of us who have artificial trees, especially the ones that are already pre-lit, avoid these joys. Me? I'm old school. I traipse out in the fields and forest with hubby, and bring home a fresh tree and decorate it! The whole house smells awesome!

But I digress.
Sometimes down in the bottom of the cardboard container, I find a lonely bulb. Maybe it was from another string of lights. Maybe it came out of this string in my hand, when the box was jostled, putting it up in the attic, and then taking it back down. Whatever the reason, that single, lonely bulb isn't good for much, is it? It's kinda dark, and you might not even be able to tell what its true color is.

Plug it into the string, though, and it shines! The whole string of lights glistens and brightens up the place! Red, blue, green, yellow, and white . . .

Just like those bulbs, we are all different. Men, women, little boys and girls, old folks . . . from families that are in church "every time the doors open" to those who haven't yet been saved. Perhaps we've been raised by parents who were Muslim; perhaps our family espoused atheism.
Doesn't matter.
We all have potential. Though we are different, God's love can make us shine.

God didn't just send Jesus for people of any one ethnicity. He didn't send Him for any particular country or land. He sent Jesus Christ as the Babe of Bethlehem for ALL.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.  (John 3:16-17)
"For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me,but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.” (John 6:38-40)
And on top of that, the Bible tells us that He is indeed the Light of the world.
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
Apart from Him, we don't light up. We can't. But when we are "connected" to Him, what wonders He can work in our lives!
I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. (John 12:46)
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  (II Corinthians 12:9)
Apart from him, we can do nothing . . .
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)
As we look around at the beautiful lights of celebrations this Christmas, let's remember that we need the connection, the power, of His presence in our lives! And that He came for all - no matter how different - let's spread the joy of His gospel!

3 comments:

  1. This one is great! I’ve been passing these abbeys lessons along to our son Noel and his girlfriend. I’m hoping that God will speak to their hearts through these and bring them to call upon Him for their souls’ salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS a great analogy! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.