Thursday, December 13, 2018

Advent object lessons - jingle bells!


Today's advent thoughts are about the lovely bells and jingle bells that we hear at Christmas. . .
Years ago, we took part in a caroling party that went from house to house in our small foothills community. Many of us had jingle bells in hand, and the sound of those bells merrily ringing would bring the residents of each house to the windows or door, to hear us sing.

Funny how such a small thing can sound so joyful!
Remember our studies recently in I Peter?
Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, (I Peter 1:8)
December may or may not be truly the month that Jesus was born, but I think it doesn't really matter! It's just the time that we choose to celebrate His birth, and the joy and peace that He brings:
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)
The bells do sound so joyful, no? Bells in steeples, jingle bells in the hands of kids . . .
How do bells work? Oh, that's easy, you say. Well, yes, but let's look at it, OK?

Whether it's a bell six feet across, or a small jingle bell, the sound is made by something inside it. For the large carillon bell, it's the "clapper" that swings back and forth, hitting the sides of the bell and creating melodious tones. For the jingle bell, it's the tiny metal ball inside, that bounces around and creates merry music.
Our joy comes from the inside, too -- it comes from having the love of our Savior in our hearts. Like the verse above from I Peter, this verse speaks of the joy inside each of us:
You make known to me the path of life;    you will fill me with joy in your presence,
    with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
“And so, my children, listen to me,    for all who follow my ways are joyful. Listen to my instruction and be wise.    Don’t ignore it. Joyful are those who listen to me,    watching for me daily at my gates,    waiting for me outside my home! For whoever finds me finds life    and receives favor from the Lord." (Proverbs 8:32-35)
What happens, though, if we cup our hands around the bell? Or wrap a cloth tightly around it? No more melody. No more music. We've muffled the sound. It's not a bright and joyful bell anymore. Sounds kind of dead and dull.
In the same way, we can have our joy muffled during this Christmas time...it's so easy to get too busy at this time of year. Well, let's see, I want to address my cards, and wrap these gifts, and oh, I can't forget, I need to bake some cookies and quick breads for the church social, and on and on....
It's easy to let the business muffle the joy. Then we are not bright and joyful. We are going through the motions. We must remember that the reason for the notes of love, wonderful gifts, and yummy meals and party fellowship, is the joy of Jesus' birthday. The joy and peace that comes from the privilege we have, of living life guided by and filled by His Spirit.
Then we can tell others about that "inexpressible and glorious joy"!

1 comment:

  1. Another terrific analogy! I shall try this Christmas to leave my joy unmuffled! :-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.