Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Prov. 17 : 16 What Price Glory?

Pro 17:16  Wherefore is there a price in the hand of a fool to get wisdom, seeing he hath no heart to it?
As I was studying this verse, I looked at some commentaries, and was searching for the roots of some of the words . . . sometimes that really helps us to get a handle on the language of Solomon, and then the language of the translators. (In my case, that is the learned men that King James I tasked with translating the Scripture. I use other versions to assist in my studies, but I always fall back on the familiar, and the beauty of the King James Bible.)
Solomon is astonished here, that sometimes there is great blessing or wealth available to those who seem undeserving.  In our mortal lives, there are often times that a foolish person may receive a bounty that would have been much better used by someone with more wisdom, or who needed it more. We can think of an inheritance squandered by a foolish heir, or a true love tossed away by a shallow lover.
My mind turned to the price, or payment, that is placed in the hands of men and women, by Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Mortal man has "no heart" for it before the Holy Spirit touches his soul, and draws him to repentance. Our hearts and minds are set on other things; we are either unknowing, or neglectful, of the great mercy that He offers. Our sin blinds us to the glory that can be ours.

It is amazing. Indeed, as Solomon thought, it is astonishing that a holy God would consider us and provide for our salvation. He gives us rational minds, and souls in the likeness of Him who created us.  He gives us time and opportunity, and helpers for understanding (the Scriptures, and those who help us comprehend them).  The payment is there within our grasp - Jesus left the glory of heaven to enable us to experience glory --- here in a small way; later in heaven, in an infinite way.


There is a classic movie entitled "What Price Glory?" and I thought of it as I considered the verse.

What price was God willing to pay for us to achieve glory? The ultimate price: His only Son who was sinless, became the payment of our sin debt, and died on the cross, to rise again and enable us to live forever with Him.
And then, what price am I willing to pay, to give glory back to my Savior?

3 comments:

  1. This is a very heavy lesson today Snoodles. What price am I willing to pay?... I could answer as Peter did, but would probably fail as he did. Would I give my life? I have to be honest and say it's doubtful. But, I am so very thankful that God paid the price with His Son for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, Belinda, I would answer the same. I fail miserably in this arena. But I can look up from my knees and thank Him, as you said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to know what we would do. I like to think that I'd be willing to give my life for my Savior--but to give my son's life? That I just don't know if I can do. Thankfully God doesn't require that of me.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.