Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Proverbs 18:1-2

Yesterday's post seemed to hit home with more than just me. I guess I'm not the only one to sneak a chocolate treat on occasion, huh? Who invented chocolate anyway? Oh, yeah. God. Man just devised a way to take something good and make it bad for us. Why do we do that? Anyway...moving on.

Self-centered people. I like to think that I am not a self-centered person. But I know that every person reading this, myself included, has times when we want SELF to come first. The problem with being self-centered is that it is a waste of time. Nothing about spending a life working for oneself ends in happiness; but rather leads to being miserable and eventually self-destruction. (Which can even sadly lead to suicide.)

vs 1-- God gave us many talents. And He gave us a church. (How often in the New Testament does He say 'one another'?) Being a recluse, not using the talents God gave us to further His kingdom or help other believers is not only sinful, but self destructive as well.

vs 2-- This verse talks about a different type of self centered person. This person is involved in the community, but is only bent on himself. His feelings, desires, opinions. He doesn't take the time to listen to others. It's all about him.

We are all part of the body of Christ. It is up to us to first use be part of that community. Then use our talents in that community. And finally, put others first.

Have you ever examined your heart and listed the talents that God has given you? Are you actively finding ways to put them to good use? Perhaps today is a good day to begin.

2 comments:

  1. God it really thumping me on the head with these latest posts.

    Isolation. As in social networking and emailing being my only contact with other believers...Or most of it anyway. Sounds like something is wrong with this picture.

    I do think however, that I'm trying to use at least one of the talents God blessed me with by my charity quilts and doing projects for some other folks. I think that counts. But as far as my local community, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are issues that I struggle with too...I deal with so many people in my daily work, that I really crave the quiet times off-work. But is that what God would have me do with my talents? I need to re-think my priorities....

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.