Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Prov. 17 : 17 Best of Friends

Pro 17:17  A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

What do you value in a friend? What characteristics do you wish to see, in someone you would call your friend? If you have time, take a moment and jot a few down in your journal. We'll come back to that later . . .

I've not been blessed with all that many friends in my life. I count my hubby as my BFF, and my kids are close in line after him. I guess it is a combination of where I live (way out in the country) and my occupation (that keeps me super-busy) that has made it difficult to nurture friendships.  There are some folks that I've not even met in person, face-to-face, in the same room, and all that. But I feel close to them, and they have showed me that they are good friends, nonetheless.

I think that we would all agree that the biggest thing to judge a friend on, is whether or not that relationship is constant. True friendship is a strong bond. If someone is my friend because it is serving some interest of theirs, then that is a shallow and selfish bond. It will easily break when they see that I no longer serve that purpose to them. I like what Matthew Henry said in his commentary:
     . . . their affections turn with the wind and change with the weather. Swallow-friends, that fly to you in summer, but are gone in winter; such friends there is no loss of.
I love my friends no matter if they are rich or poor, popular or in disgrace, close or far. If they are sincere, good, and wise, then I love them, no matter what!
I really like what the second half of the verse says. The word translated "brother" also means "kindred" like in kindred spirits. That kind of friend will be there when you are in adversity. Someone that is so "tuned in" to you that they know what you are experiencing; sometimes you can finish each others sentences, and other times you don't need to speak at all. The best example of this kind of friend is our savior, Jesus. He is a friend that loves at all times. Here are His own words that can comfort our souls:
"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."
What an awesome, inspiring thing --- the Son of God is our friend!  Our Best Friend Forever! 

Climbing down from that mountaintop, let's see if we can tell where the rubber hits the road . . . if you wrote down some things in your journal, or if you just thought of some characteristics of good friends --- ask yourself if you model those in your dealings with others. You see, if we wish to have good friends, we must be good friends.  Oh, and are we good friends with our Lord? Is our friendship constant? Don't worry, I'm asking myself these questions, too . . . If we see some areas that we can improve, let's write those in our journals, too.

3 comments:

  1. Humbling post today--I wonder, do I take the time to nurture my friendship with Christ like I do my online friendships? (those are the only current friendships that I have).

    Do I 'network with Jesus'? It should be easier than networking with online friends. No need to go through blogger or facebook or google plus or twitter or flikr or pinterest. All that stuff makes my head spin. Of course we can't do it all, but online friendships require time and networking.

    Thankfully it really is much easier to Network with Jesus. I just need to do a heartcheck and make sure I don't get too busy networking in cyber space and therefore my friendship with Christ suffers.

    ---------> self<-------------

    The arrow shows that I am pointing to myself here. Thanks Snoodles for a great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat. No personal friends that I can actually be with physically. I do have a few, very few friends online that are constant, supportive, kind and uplifting to me. At one time I thought someone I worked with was my friend. But as Henry said, she was a Swallow-friend. And when she didn't need me any longer, she flew away. Very hurtful.

    And yes, I do have to wonder if my own lack of being a good friend, is the reason I have no friends other than online. I have tried to nurture friendships with others in my church family, but I think we are all so busy, it takes a back burner and we don't give it the attention it needs to flourish.

    Networking with God...what a concept. I feel that involves daily Bible reading and study, and lots of prayer. I do try to comment to the Lord frequently during the day. I hope He considers that nurturing my friendship with Him....

    Great post today Snoodles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post today. My husband is my best friend too. I have felt that I have nutured many friendships in my lifetime but they have flown away without a reason.
    I have many acquaintances from church and feel like if I ever needed them they would be there for me. I could be wrong.

    I found that my sons have kept their childhood friends but for some reason my daughter has gone through the same thing I have. What does that say about women? I am not sure.

    I am glad that Jesus is someone I can rely on at all times. He has been there for me.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.