Saturday, September 17, 2011

An Intro to Pilgrim's Progress

I do know that at least one other person is joining in on this read-along of what is one of the best Christian books written by man. If you are not joining in at this time, you can always look under the search and follow that way later. Today I will intro the book and give you ONE more week--just in case anyone else wants to join. Oh, and please, DON'T join if you are too busy. Reading the Bible and doing your daily study is much more important!

The original Pilgrim's Progress was written in 'old English' and references the King James Bible on many occasions. There are also references to political and religious circumstances of John Bunyan's day. If, during our study you have any questions at all please ask. I have two versions (the original and a modern English version) on hand and two different study guides.

The book contains no chapter divisions at all. You will have to pay close attention to starting/stopping points. If you will let me know who authored the abridged book you are using and when it is published it might be easier on me as I do have a list of some of the books in one of my study guides and it gives pages that would make good start/stop places.

As for the story itself...Christian is the main character and his story is an exciting adventure that will make as my study guide says, "Biblical truths come blasting through these pages like smart bombs hitting their targets of the mind and the heart." Charles Spurgeon himself said that this book was the most important book of his life (outside of the Bible) and read it over 100 times.

I could go on and on with examples. I am getting excited about our journey! We start next Saturday...

3 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this Tonya! My book is supposed to arrive today. Yaay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read it before....wish I had time to start it again and read with ya'll! Maybe I can catch up later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just getting started. I will catch up with you all though. I am looking forward to reading this book. I have one on my "online Bible" It is the original.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.