Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Proverbs 13: 24

"Spare the rod, spoil the child". How often have we heard that? My daughter and I often discuss discipline. She has thanked me, on more than one occasion, for disciplining her when she was little. Well, actually she was 15 when she got her last swats--not exactly little. Why thank me? It goes way back to when she was just a baby. I was at my inlaws house along with the rest of the family. That was a huge family and they always hung out at MIL's house. Amy refused to leave a nick knack alone and got her hands swatted. The first time. The second time, out came the wooden spoon that I carried around and her backside got swatted. At that point, there was a huge argument among adults. None of the others believed in spanking, and I was treated like a child abuser. In fact, I really wasn't welcome anymore. Amy tells me stories of how her undisciplined cousins turned out--and then hugs me and thanks me for doing what is right.

Currently I keep wooden spoons all over the house. Why? I like to spank my baby? NO! But I do want him to grow right. We believe in our home that discipline should always be done in love, never in anger. He started 'getting spooned' at around 9 months or so. He hasn't been 'spooned' in months. It didn't take long for him to learn what no means. Oh, and why a spoon? NEVER ever use a hand. Hands are for love. Children shouldn't fear our hands. My children never fear the spoon for that matter. They respect THE SPOON. Do you get the difference?

We all believe in disciplining different ways. Just be sure that when you do discipline that you are doing it in love (just as our Heavenly Father disciplines us) and make sure that you and your husband (or since most of you are grandparents you and the child's parents) are on the same page. Oh, and one note...I have already told Amy that if I am to watch her children someday, then she must agree that I get to discipline as I see fit. Of course she agrees, since she is glad I disciplined in the first place.

Today for your personal time, I am going to give you some other verses about discipline. Read them and then answer the following questions. You don't have to answer here, but you may if you like.

Hebrews 12:11--What is a benefit of discipline?
Ephesians 6:4--What should discipline NOT do?
Proverbs 23:13-15--What is another benefit of discipline?
Proverbs 12:1--How should we except discipline?
Proverbs 20:30--What is more affected by discipline, the outside or the inside?

During your prayer time today, first pray for your family. Pray that your children are disciplining their children(or will someday) in a way that is pleasing to God. Second pray that God would discipline you as you need. This is a hard and scary thing to pray--and still mean it. So think hard about it before you say it!

--Tonya--

2 comments:

  1. My children are very thankful for the way we disciplined them growing up. My husband made me a "paddle" out of cypress wood. I broke it on my son one day and we all started laughing!
    Both of them have turned into very responsible adults who love the Lord. I realize that doesn't always happen, but we were blessed.

    I like the idea of the spoon. My grandson is not responding to being swatted, and I had forgotten about the hand being a loving thing instead of the tool of discipline. I'll try that.

    In Hebrews 12:11 it talks about the peaceable fruit of righteousness from discipline. James 3:17 describes peaceable as: "gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits." That's a lovely picture of the results of the right kind of discipline.

    Oh, and Tonya? Asking God for discipline...are you crazy?!! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asking God for discipline is kind of like asking God for patience, huh?

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.