Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Proverbs 14 : 5 A breath of hot air

Here's our verse today . . .

"A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies."



This verse is so simple. It kinda conjures up old movies or television shows where the person on the witness stand is definitely lying -- come on, you know you've watched them! Earlier in the plot, you saw someone do something, and now here they are telling lies about it. But wait! The wily attorney saves the day by rooting out the truth, and exposing the lies. Justice is served, and happy endings are all around.

I thought it was interesting that "utter" in the verse has a root that means "to puff, or blow with the breath" . . . not just talk, or speak. Have you ever seen someone who is caught in a lie? They huff and puff, and get really defensive, and sometimes lie more just to cover up the first one! And a false witness is sometimes a person who is a habitual liar -- one to whom lying comes "as easy as breathing." As easy as exhaling, or blowing with the breath, according to Solomon.

I guess that's another good reason for us to heed Paul's instruction in Eph 4:25  "Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one of another."

1 comment:

  1. Is there anything that just burns you? For me it is lying. I do sin, but I just don't lie. Not as an adult. It just makes me so angry when I catch a lie and my kids know it! I have been hurt so much by others' lying lips.

    Not to point the finger--I've got my own faults. But I just HATE LIES!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.