Friday, January 20, 2012

But my plans failed!

Monday- We cleaned house.
Tuesday- We made plans and committed them to God.
Wednesday- We purged.
Thursday- We worked towards our Ultimate Purpose.

Before we begin today's passage take a moment to read back through Proverbs 16: 1-7 and think about each step to having a good, purposeful, committed, well planned day.

So here you are, you planned out your day. You committed it to God. You made sure that sins were confessed so that you could become more intimate with God so that you could work towards the ultimate purpose of pleasing God...but your plans just did not work out.

Perhaps your husband got laid off. You got sick. There was a death of someone very close to you. The car broke down. What happened? You did everything you were supposed to do!

Read Proverbs 16: 8-9 now. Whoa, hold up...what did verse 9 say? Basically it says that even though you made your plans...which is a good thing by the way, nothing wrong with making plans...what ultimately happens is up to God.

Look up James 4:13-17.

These weekend, make your plans. Seek God's will. And when things don't go your way, remember God is in charge. Submit to His authority. And realize that even when something tragic, something so terrible happens that you just can't understand why, that God knows. He knows what is best. It's in His plan. Trust in Him.

2 comments:

  1. That passage in James reminds me of an old saying...
    "If the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise!" I've heard it and said it all my life, and it must have originated in James!

    I have a friend whose husband is often heard to say, "Nothing happens in this world, that hasn't first gone through God's hands." So, we know He is in control and will work His master plan, regardless of our own plans and schemes.

    I found myself fretting over my "plans" this morning, and I stopped and asked God to show me HIS plan and to help me accomplish THAT list of to-dos. It's hard and I will have to practice, practice, practice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that final paragraph that you wrote for us, Tonya. That's very comforting...

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.