Monday, January 30, 2012

Proverbs 16: 26


I doubt any of us have been in this place. We've never known true hunger. Yes, sometimes the cabinets might be a bit bare, but there has never been a feeling of devastation that there will not be a next meal.

Read Proverbs 16: 26

Christians in underground churches often understand this hunger. I have heard of them taking a Bible and dividing it between them..page by page. To take home, savor, feast on. Then they trade pages amongst themselves. Oh, this puts me to shame. How often have I rushed through my study to get to something else. Have I ever savored the Word like these persecuted Christians? 

Have you ever fasted? Join me in an experiment today? Just push back your lunch for an hour or two. Let your stomach get to the point where it growls and growls. Oh and don't drink anything during this time except water. Then, as you get hunger pains, let them be a reminder to you to cultivate your spiritual hunger for God. 

Even going a step further, here is a large list of Hungry Heart verses. (With thanks to soulsheperding.org for the list). Each time your stomach growls--look up one of these passages. You could, in fact, title a page in your journal, "verses for a hungry heart" and then beside them right a little description of each verse. 

  • Psalm 27: 4,8
  • Psalm 42: 1-2
  • Psalm 57:8-10
  • Psalm 62:5-8
  • Psalm 63:1-8
  • Psalm 73:26-27
  • Psalm 84:1-4; 10
  • Psalm 108:1
  • Psalm 119: 20;81
  • Psalm 143:6
  • Matthew 4:4
  • Matthew 5:6
  • Mark 1:35
  • Luke 11:1
  • John 4:34
  • John 6:33, 35a
  • Galatians 4:6
  • Philippians 3:7-14

4 comments:

  1. This is quite a post Tonya! Makes me ashamed as well, to know I always rush through reading my Bible. I've been trying to slow down and really pay attention lately. It's amazing what you see when you do. Things you never really saw before. And every time we read, God reveals more to us, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is so true. Today is hungry day! I am excited. I am going to have Seth join me in this experiment and we can look up the verses together. Should be a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing these verses. this is the last week of our church wide fast. I will be sure to really take my time to read these verses. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Tonya...I'm working my way through these verses...

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.