Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Proverbs 15:21-23

Folly is joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight.
Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed.
A man has joy in an apt answer, and how delightful is a timely word.

Don't be stupid. That's what these verses say in modern Tonya translation.

Have you ever known someone that just does foolish things, and thinks it is funny? Now sometimes(alot) I do stupid things. And often I just laugh them off. But I don't think verse 21 is talking about the simple day to day things that we do and then we think, "Why did I just do that?!" If you will think back to previous verses about fools and foolishness for a moment you will remember that King Solomon often refers to those that don't follow the path to God as fools. Many many people reject God and his teachings. THAT is just...what's the word I'm looking for....Stupid. 

Ok, since we know that those of us reading this are trying to follow God's teachings, let's look at verse 22. Have you ever full-speed-ahead just did something without thinking? And the result? Or..how about the opposite. Worried and fretted and worried and fretted, then made the wrong decision anyway? There is nothing wrong for asking the opinion of others. Especially others that 'have been there'. 

On the opposite note, that is why we are supposed to be friendly one to another, and lovingly listen and prayerfully give council when asked. God has brought us through many trials and tribulations. Hopefully we have learned from them and can share with others what we have learned. Verse 23 is telling us that giving good counsel to someone spreads joy around. 

What is a recent trial that you learned from? (rhetorical) Today write down some things you have learned and then pray that God will help you to remember what you've learned so that you won't make the same mistakes and can offer counsel to others. Also, if you need help with a decision, pray about who you should go and talk to with help about that decision. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm sure I've both run headlong into something stupid AND worried and fretted and still messed up.

    I used to go to my mother-in-law, but as she ages, her counsel is not as clear. I used to ask my sister, but I've pulled back from that for personal reasons. So, that leaves the two people who are unwavering in their wisdom. My husband and the Lord. Occasionally I will ask a blog friend, but since they aren't in my every day life, there is only so much they can help with.

    The one thing that comes to mind first when asked what I've learned the hard way, that might help me counsel someone else is:

    Watch. What. You. Say.
    I don't think an explanation is needed for that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Belinda! I have to remind myself to listen more than I speak, when someone comes to me to vent, or ask advice. What's the old adage? We have two ears...and one mouth? :)
    By the way, for anyone who is reading today and didn't already know: please hold up Tonya and her family in your prayers. Her dad-in-law passed away, and I know she would appreciate our prayers for their safety as they travel, and for their comfort and composure as they deal with the loss and other issues at this time. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.