Thursday, January 12, 2012

Proverbs 15 : 30 - 31 Eyes and Ears

Pro 15:30  The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: and a good report maketh the bones fat.
Pro 15:31  The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.


Matthew Henry's commentary says that consideration of this verse (30) should make us appreciate our eyesight. I know that is what I thought of when I read it.  But that might be since for the last two weeks we've been concerned about the eyesight of one in our family. At her age you would expect to have less than perfect vision, but the prospect of a more sudden (and complete) loss is really pretty frightening. (We are grateful to God that the MRI was completely normal, and all is well.)

Truly, it is a blessing for us to see and enjoy the creative works of God, and all of the beauty that surrounds us. But I was really captivated by one of the meanings of "light" in the verse --- it also means cheerfulness! Go figure: the wealthiest man in the world, King Solomon, was commenting that a bright and cheerful look in the eyes or countenance could rejoice the heart! And I bet he knew what he was talking about --- he was probably surrounded by dour faces all day long, full of anxiety and "doom and gloom" conversations. Put that together with the second half of the verse, and I think he was saying that a good report, or positive words, can . . . oh, wait a minute. What was that he said? Make the bones fat? Hmmm. Now I know that I'm chubbier than I'd like, but that is not my bones -- those are hidden. Back to the study notes . . . ah, here it is! It gives a hidden, or private pleasure, and it strengthens, as well. Now that makes sense. A positive comment (a good report) can give pleasure - not the laughing, slap on the back kind, but the quiet smile and inner contentment kind -- and can strengthen the one who hears.


Now, about those ears. I know we have covered this idea before, of hearing reproof, and loving the reprover; and of being wise enough to listen to the reproof and change our ways. I think this one line from Henry's commentary on this verse said it all for me:


"Those that learn well, and obey well, are likely in time to teach well and rule well."


'Nuff said? I thought so, too.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I think all of us like to bring a smile to others. But even more so...that quiet sigh of contentment...later when we are gone. Now that would make me smile!
    I think there are a couple of family members (namely two older children) that I really need to work on giving them good reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we can all agree as well, that we all like to hear positive comments. No one likes to hear negative things all the time. We would like to think we uplift others and not depress them. Yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to do this more at home...even tho I only have hubby and youngest here any more. I think it's making a difference that I can see and hear. Now I wonder if I'll get any back? LOL

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.