Monday, January 9, 2012

Proverbs 15: 26 How's your thought life?

Pro 15:26  The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.


We've had several occasions, as we have studied in Proverbs, to be reminded of our speech, and attitudes toward others. This verse is pointing out something a little more subtle.

In my studies, I've come to believe that to God, our thoughts and our words are one and the same. I don't believe that we have to speak an insult or a slander aloud --- it is just the same as if we said it to that person, instead of about them.  We have proofs in the Bible that God knows our hearts, and knows our thoughts. He has always been especially concerned with what goes on in our hearts and minds. And He knows what is going on there!
Here is an example . . . In Matthew 9:4 we read:  And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?  
Here is another verse . . .  I Sam. 16:7  reads, “For Jehovah seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but Jehovah looketh on the heart.”
Solomon says in the twenty-third chapter of Proverbs (we'll get to this in time) that "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." (Prov. 23:7)

Matthew Henry notes that, "The thoughts of wicked men, for the most part, are such as God hates, and are an offence to him, who not only knows the heart and all that passes and repasses there, but requires the innermost and uppermost place in it."  
Solomon's father, David, was a man "after God's own heart." And I think this is why --- in spite of his sins and his shortcomings, David yearned for the righteousness that pleases God. Listen to his words in the Psalms:  "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." (Psa 19:14)

The words of the pure are pleasant words . . . God has purified our hearts when He saves us, and makes us to be born again. We can choose to be honest, sincere, pleasant, and cheerful. Let's ask the Spirit each day, to help our words and our thoughts be pure, and pleasant.

4 comments:

  1. I have really been convicted of my thoughts in the last few months. Mainly due to this study. Every time I think something negative about someone, I try to ask forgiveness and for help to turn that thought away. It's hard though. Oh, that I could have the heart of David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also been convicted of thinking bad thoughts but not saying them. I pray God will purify my thoughts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something that I struggle with, too, my friends. Aren't we all blessed to have a loving Father that knows our struggles and daily gives us His grace?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it something that we try to hide our thoughts from God? Just like Adam and Eve all over again.

    P.S. I've missed you my friends.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.